We need your help now more than ever! Like so many non-profits that rely on in-person programming to fund their operations, Covid-19 has had a dramatic impact on Sheldrake. We had to suspend our field trip operations this spring which had more than 200 trips scheduled as well as our popular June Mini-camp program geared towards toddlers. These programs account for about 50% of our revenue. We need your help to keep Sheldrake’s nature programming and education a vital part of our community. When you donate, you are sustaining an organization that helps individuals – especially children – benefit from all that nature has to offer.
The annual cost to provide our breadth of programming is over $100,000. Your donation will have an immediate impact, felt by people in your local community as we continue to work to provide virtual programming, private, socially distanced guided nature walks and community education through our You Tube channel. Our property remains open for visitors and has been a sanctuary for many to escape these times and find a meaningful connection with nature or fun escape for their families. As a small, non-profit organization, we depend on fundraising and program fees for nearly 90% of our financial resources. It’s the support of friends like you that allows us to continue being a vibrant educational resource for the local communities of lower Westchester and to keep our doors open through these trying times.
Some quick facts about what we’ve done lately:
- We have taught over 2,000 hours of nature education, delivering more than 450 classes.
- We have pivoted in response to COVID-19 to develop virtual nature programs for schools, scouts, toddlers, and preschoolers.
- We offer free nature and STEM education programs for families throughout the year.
- We have hosted Scout troops from various Westchester towns to help these do-gooders earn their badges in nature.
- We have started a wellness initiative that includes monthly mindful outdoor experiences, weekend programs for adults and families and mindful-based retreats for community members.
- We installed a new mindful reflection rock garden on property.
- We have acquired new signage and an information kiosk for the property.
- We provide free or low-cost nature programs for toddlers and their caregivers.
- We expanded our bilingual nature education to provide more learning opportunities.
- We expanded our pre-school offerings for children including Young Explorers and Nature Bugs.
- A team of 6 staff naturalists, 22 volunteers and our Director of Education deliver all of our programs. Your support enables these knowledgeable naturalists to continue to be a resource for the community and local area school children.
$100 will help us provide virtual content to local families.
$200 will help us implement safety protocols to enable a rerun to in-person Stem-based programming.
$400 will pay for a bus to bring our bilingual participants to the center for monthly programming.
$500 will help continue our wellness initiatives, featuring walks, retreats, and mindful Saturdays.
Your donation (of any size) is the key to delivering on our mission of sparking a lifelong love of nature in the children and families of our community.
Our fiscal year closes June 30, please make an end of year gift to help us continue to bring vital nature education and family programming to the community.