- This event has passed.
September 24, 2016 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pmFREE for members
The 9/24 Fishing Derby is full. If you would like to be added to the wait list and/or receive first priority for Sheldrake’s next fishing event, please register here.
Please join Sheldrake for our first ever Fishing Derby! Bass, sunfish, pike, and more can all be caught in Sheldrake’s pond. Come and cast your line with other members of the Sheldrake community. Everyone gets an official Sheldrake Fisherperson Certificate for participating, and a prize will be awarded for the most fish caught. Plus, local apples, hot apple cider and doughnuts will be available for all!
Space is limited, so please sign up in advance to reserve your spot.
Note: Children under 12 need to be supervised by a parent. People over 16 years old, must have a valid NY fishing license and abide by all DEC regulations. Please see full rules here.
Complete rules for Sheldrake’s Fishing Derby
- This is a catch and release program.
- All participants 16 years of age and older must have a valid NY fishing license and abide by all DEC regulations found here.
- Pre-registration is required. Please register here.
- A maximum of 25 individuals may fish.
- As there is concern over the spread of invasive earthworms and the spread of disease by baitfish, only artificial lures may be used.
- No boats are allowed.
- Dispose of all trash in garbage bins at the end of the trail.
This event is free for Sheldrake members. Not a Sheldrake member, but you would like to be? Join Today!!
Year round, Sheldrake Environmental Center offers monthly guided Neighborhood Nature walks; in the springtime join us for compost bin sales and workshops, along with Earth Day clean-ups; and in the fall, we have our Fall Festival and International Coastal Clean Up. Use the listing below to find the kind of events you would like to enjoy at Sheldrake Environmental Center.