The Director of Education is a part-time (18 hours/week) position that reports to the Executive Director. Under the strategic direction of the Executive Director and the Board, The Director of Education will create and develop new and innovative programming to increase awareness of Sheldrake within the community, as well as to implement existing programming to ensure consistent quality standards are maintained. Occasional weekend events required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Based on strategic goals of the Executive Director and the board, guide the growth and development of Sheldrake’s complete range of educational programming: school, afterschool, public, scouts, camp, preschool, etc.
- Assist in marketing efforts to attract new audiences for expanded programming.
- Work with the Executive Director to hire staff for the education programs.
- Manage, motivate and evaluate a staff of part-time and seasonal teachers.
- Manage and conduct teacher training and volunteer educator program specifically to align Sheldrake’s offerings with state curriculum standards and ensure continuity between our program content and volunteer teachers.
- Lead education initiatives such as the development of nature-based preschool programs, and the expansion of scouting programs.
- Assist Executive Director with other strategic program initiatives including bi-lingual nature program, Opportunity Plus, etc.
- Work with Executive Director to manage budget for the education programs.
- Evaluate Sheldrake’s programs to ensure the highest quality experiences are being offered, and delivered completely to the schools.
- Expand weekend and family programming.
- Develop a more robust birthday party program.
- Develop summer programming.
- Teach, on occasion.
Qualifications and Requirements
- College degree required; master’s preferred.
- Experience serving as an environmental educator providing diverse programming.
- Experience in program design and evaluation, teacher training, and administration.
- Demonstrated ability in leading a staff, including hiring and evaluation.
The compensation for this position is commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.